[Xastir] failure to use gpsd

Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski curious at bwv190.internetdsl.tpnet.pl
Thu Jun 17 17:20:54 EDT 2010

--

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:
>
>>  i am doing exactly that, still hostname lookup messages do appear - that
>>  is why i consider it weird.
>>
>>  Xastir connects to internet aprs servers just fine, and system is
>>  configured properly.
>>
>>  hostname 'lookup' does not 'time out'
>>  when looking for gpsd server it just displays
>>  'looking up hostname [number]' and number increases from (perhaps 0?)
>>  and tediously cycles via 1000 20000 and so on, increasing by 1.
>>  it consumes ~100% cpu time and lasts up to minute.
>>  then connection is attempted.
>
> Check your /etc/nsswitch.conf and /etc/resolv.conf files.  Most
> likely the first one is specifying that you try to look up the
> hostname from a service that is not responding or is slow to
> respond, then after a timeout you switch to the next service and
> succeed.  My nsswitch.conf line looks like this:
>
>    hosts:  files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns
>
> So it will look in /ect/hosts first ("files"), and I have localhost
> defined in that file:
>
>    127.0.0.1       localhost

again. it is configured correctly and resolving hostnames is not a
problem.
Xastir connects to internet hosts without any delays either ,just like
any other program.

also , i use 127.0.0.1 for gpsd server, so hostname lookup should not
happen at all in this case. the behaviour of Xastir is identical
in regard to gpsd no matter if i set hostname , or ip.