[Xastir] failure to use gpsd

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 17:34:36 EDT 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:

> again. it is configured correctly and resolving hostnames is not a problem.
> Xastir connects to internet hosts without any delays either ,just like
> any other program.

Except that the count you're mentioning is Xastir doing a hostname
lookup using your system hostname lookup functions.  It certainly
sounds from your description as if Xastir is trying a lookup one one
service and either getting a delayed response or getting no response
and having to try another service or server.

> also , i use 127.0.0.1 for gpsd server, so hostname lookup should
> not happen at all in this case. the behaviour of Xastir is identical
> in regard to gpsd no matter if i set hostname , or ip.

Not necessarily true.  There's no guarantee that we were smart
enough to bypass the hostname lookup if there appears to be a valid
IP address in the hostname field.  Yea, interface.c in net_init()
does this every time:

     (void)host_lookup(port_data[port].device_host_name,
         ip_addrs,
         sizeof(ip_addrs),
         13);

Sorry about thinking that Xastir would avoid the hostname lookup in
that case.

So...  We could smarten up the code there to test whether it looks
like a valid IP address and bypass the host lookup.  I have other
pressing matters to attend to though, like re-writing the GPSD
interface code.

If you (or anyone else) care to write a patch to do the above, send
it along and I'll test it out/commit it.