[Xastir] Ubuntu 10.04 - XastirWiki

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Jun 22 18:07:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 05:48:24PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <sgrigali at columbus.rr.com> flavor, containing:
> After finding out that Tiger maps are no longer available I have been searching for my next move.  My Xastir that was installed via 10.04 was V1.9.4.  I followed the instructions that were listed on the Xastir Wiki.  I ran into a snag.  After doing the 'Install xastir' section, I was rewarded with 'yes' on the options listed with "xastir 1.9.9 has been configured to use the following options and external libraries". So I did 'Build the code' with the next step.  When it told me to launch the xastir it gave me a message saying xastir is not installed!!  It said to do the sudo apt-get install xastir command.  I did that, and that installed the original V1.9.4.  So I did the Wiki again, with the same results.

Do not re-run "apt-get install xastir" (you already guessed that was wrong).

>From the shell, type "hash -r".  This will purge the shell of any memory it
might have had that xastir had been installed in /usr/bin.

Make sure that your path includes /usr/local/bin:

  echo $PATH

should show a colon-separated list of directories in which to look for installed programs.  If it doesn't show /usr/local/bin in that list, add it:

  export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin
(if you need to do this, you'll also need to adjust your .bashrc or
.bash_profile file to make it happen every time you log in).

Once /usr/local/bin is in your path, xastir is installed, and the shell has
been told to forget about old installations, you can start xastir.  Be warned
that your .xastir/config/xastir.cnf file will be full of paths telling xastir
to look for various files in /usr/share/xastir, which will now be wrong.  You'll
either need to move .xastir/config/xastir.cnf to a new temporary name and let
xastir repopulate it, or hand-edit the file to change all the instances of
/usr/share to /usr/local/share

That should get you past this.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."