[Xastir] Fwd: (UI-View & OSM)

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 23:45:50 EDT 2010

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> I know this is sacrilege, mentioning a windows app here, but this tool
> appears to generate OSM bitmaps for offline use.  Offline is pretty
> important to me, thought I'd throw it out in case anyone else finds it
> useful.

I thought one could download OSM map data in multiple formats,
including ESRI Shapefiles.  If so, one wouldn't need anything that
snags images and could directly use the vector data in Xastir
instead.  Of course the raster images would probably be done better
than Xastir currently draws, but they'd take up a lot more space
on the hard drive too.

Yea, here we go:

     http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Shapefiles

That's just one of the first hits from typing in:

     open street maps shapefiles

into Google.  Perhaps someone could create some dbfawks for these,
or write a howto for the Xastir Wiki for OSM Shapefiles.