[Xastir] OS network issue or?

KA7O ka7o at ka7o.net
Wed Jun 23 00:39:57 EDT 2010

Scenario:
I've a mobile instance of Xastir up and running (CVS from this morning)
on Fedora 13. I've got the regional radar working via I-net. The Tornado
Warning icons and boxes from APRS-IS that're being gated by my home
station are showing up via RF. I'm not connecting to an APRS-IS server.

Problem:
As I was driving around today - observing weather "stuff" - trying to
"borrow" open WiFi connections to get updated radar images, I noticed
that as soon as I left the WAP I was connected to when Xastir started,
and the laptop connected to another WAP, I could no longer get images.
Other I-net things on the laptop worked with the 2nd WAP just fine (web
browser, ssh, updates etc). This was repeatable and occurred with
several WAPs around town.

Supposition and question:
It appears that Xastir is caching "something" unique to do with
networking that doesn't apply after a move to a different WAP. Is that
true or do I have something else going on? Any thing I can do to get
around it, other than restarting Xastir at each re-connect?

Yes, I know - getting my own mobile I-net connection would be the best
fix - but that's not in the cards for now.

73