[Xastir] OS network issue or?

James Cameron vk2lqz at wia.org.au
Wed Jun 23 00:52:20 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 10:39:57PM -0600, KA7O wrote:
> It appears that Xastir is caching "something" unique to do with
> networking that doesn't apply after a move to a different WAP.

Yes, my guess is that the name resolver is stuck with /etc/resolv.conf
content in process memory.  The application would need to call
res_init() again.

> Is
> that true or do I have something else going on?

You'd prove it by checking to see if Xastir's host lookups are going to
IP address of DNS server associated with previous WAP.  I'd use ethereal
or tcpdump.

> Any thing I can do
> to get around it, other than restarting Xastir at each re-connect?

Yes, run a local name server caching daemon, like dnsmasq, with name
server set from the DHCP query result from the WAP association.  That
way the application (Xastir) would be isolated from the changing DNS IP
addresses as you move around town.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/