[Xastir] dbfawk for 2009 Tiger/Line state/county files

Peter Gamache peter+aprs at duonet.net
Wed Jun 23 17:04:18 EDT 2010

Xastir users,

Keith sent me a message asking for some help getting county outlines to show
up with the Tiger/Line dataset.  Once I wrote the dbfawk for this, I thought
it was worth sharing, since it's very nice to highlight when you don't have
the proper county maps turned on.

I first looked at the country-wide counties file, but it's immense - over
70Mb, zipped.  Instead, I decided to go with the county files that are
available under each state, for example:

ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2009/27_MINNESOTA/tl_2009_27_county.zip

Go get http://xmaps.luno.org/config/tl_2009_nn_county.dbfawk which (as
Keith requested) shows the county outlines in red, with the labels drawn in
a slightly lighter shade of red.  Then get the county zipfile of your choice
over at ftp2.census.gov, then plop it in a maps subdirectory (I use
.../maps/27_Minnesota/state/counties.*), and you should have nice county
outlines under zoom 6000, with labels shown under zoom 2048.

Also, yes, this requires the 2009 data, the 2008 is not organized the same
way.

* Released under GNU GPL v2 or later.

Regards,
- Peter / KC0TFB