[Xastir] dbfawk for 2009 Tiger/Line state/county files

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 17:55:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Peter Gamache wrote:

> Keith sent me a message asking for some help getting county outlines to show
> up with the Tiger/Line dataset.  Once I wrote the dbfawk for this, I thought
> it was worth sharing, since it's very nice to highlight when you don't have
> the proper county maps turned on.
>
> I first looked at the country-wide counties file, but it's immense - over
> 70Mb, zipped.  Instead, I decided to go with the county files that are
> available under each state, for example:
>
> ftp://ftp2.census.gov/geo/tiger/TIGER2009/27_MINNESOTA/tl_2009_27_county.zip

Another method would be to snag the County Shapefiles from NWS and
overlay those on top of the Tiger data.  Use the Map Levels to
assure the layout order.  I'm not sure how the coloring would work
out 'cuz I haven't tried this method, but you could perhaps write a
dbfawk to change the coloring or width of the lines to make it show
up better.  The nice thing is:  It's one small dataset for all
counties in the U.S.

i.e.  (may not be the latest):  c_15jl09.shp / .dbf / .shx