[Xastir] Vmware Players latest version

hans oeste hoeste at shaw.ca
Thu Jun 24 21:49:03 EDT 2010

I think alien will read deb packages and is quite portable.   http://kitenet
net/~Joey/code/alien/

Hans
VE7OES

-------Original Message-------

From: Lee Bengston
Date: 24/06/2010 5:07:27 PM
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion
Subject: Re: [Xastir] Vmware Players latest version

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Tom Hayward <esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:

> Last week for work I built a development environment for internal
> distribution. Rather than using a virtual machine, I built a
> customized Ubuntu distribution (live-cd with install option). This
> turned out to be really easy (albeit probably more difficult than
> building a .deb, and much less bandwidth-efficient). I just followed
> this instructions on the Ubuntu wiki. This would be a pretty easy way
> to distribute Xastir packaged with an OS. Because it's based on
> Ubuntu, VMware still recognizes it and is able to use the "easy
> install" option, if that's how you choose to use it. The .iso could
> also be used for a xastir live-cd or normal Ubuntu installation on
> dedicated hardware.

That's already been done with Xastir - most recently with the iso
image dated 5-30-2010 (Ubuntu 10.04).  That was recent enough to
capture the X server workaround, but to early for the OSM and gpsd
enhancements.  http://www.xastir.org/wiki/Downloads   It's posted at
UAH, Ireland, and on my server.  I also used the procedure from the
Ubuntu wiki.  I thought about creating an updated iso but figured I'd
wait until things settled a bit.  There was a flurry of CVS changes
there for a while.

Deb packages are definitely more bandwidth (and disk space) efficient
than distributing either live/install images or virtual machines. Of
course, debs only benefit Debian/Ubuntu users.

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX