[Xastir] Virtualbox editions (was: Vmware Players latest version)

Carl Makin carl at stagecraft.cx
Thu Jun 24 02:55:51 EDT 2010

Hi Curt,

On 24/06/2010, at 9:13 AM, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> The only concern I'd have is:  What OS'es are supported by
> VirtualBox?  Do they support OSX?  I know there's already an OSX

VirtualBox has full support and commercial builds on Windows, OSX,
Linux and Solaris X86.  There is also an "Open Source Edition (OSE),
which is missing the USB and RDC subsystems, in the ports tree for
FreeBSD.  This means it can be hosted on more systems than either
VMWare or Parallels.

I switched from Parallels to VirtualBox on my Macbook Pro when OS X
10.6 came out as I didn't want to pay for yet another upgrade for
something I only occasionally use.  It's been working very well and I
certainly haven't regretted the move.

The commercial edition is (currently) free to use as long as you
manually install it, ie you can't do an automated install on a heap of
machines. However if you want to manually install it on those same
machines it's completely free to use.

Carl,
(vk1kcm)