[Xastir] OSM maps

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon Jun 28 15:27:25 EDT 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:
>
>> note you probably need ./configure --prefix=/usr/ ,
>> otherwise it will default to /usr/local
>> and thus /usr/local/share/xastir will be put there.
>> i think /usr/share/xastir/ to look for stuff like maps is defined
>> in config file, or hardcoded other way - i've got similiar issue,
>> as fresh install of xastir installed in /usr/local looked for files
>> in /usr/share/xastir...
>
> *) Locally-compiled Xastir installs by default into "/usr/local/"
> *) Xastir distributed with an OS often installs into "/usr/"
> *) Xastir LSB (Linux Standard Base) installs into "/opt/Xastir/"
>
> Config files in your "~/.xastir/config/" directory must match the
> installed Xastir location else you'll have difficulties.  Same for
> if you have more than one Xastir installed:  You may end up starting
> the wrong one by default and it may or may not match your current
> config files.
>
> So...  If you've used a pre-packaged binary to this point (which
> usually install to "/usr/"), then switch to compiling your own
> (which installs to "/usr/local/" by default), you may have to
> hand-edit your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file to change the paths.

   I made the switch to /usr/local/ when I compiled 1.9.5.  Xastir is
looking in the right directory, since I got the slew of errors on all the
ridge radar .geo's I put there from the published tarball, and it finds
the hand-coded .geo for the local DTX RIDGE site that I've been using
since USRADAR and WMSRADAR went down.
   I packed all the ridge .geo's back in a tarball to eliminate the bulk of
the errors, then re-indexed all maps in the hopes that it would throw a
clear error on the OSM files, but no, it just ignores them:

Built-in map types:
       gnis   USGS GNIS Datapoints
        pop   USGS GNIS Datapoints w/population
        map   APRSdos Maps
        map   WinAPRS/MacAPRS/X-APRS Maps
        pdb   PocketAPRS Maps

Support for these additional map types has been compiled in:
        geo   Image Map (ImageMagick/GraphicsMagick library, many formats
allowed)
        geo   URL (Internet maps via libcurl library)
        osm   URL (OpenStreetMaps via libcurl library)
        shp   ESRI Shapefile Maps (Shapelib library)
        xpm   X Pixmap Maps (XPM library)
festival_client: connect to server failed
SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival
Indexing maps...
Finished indexing maps

   On another system (Ubuntustudio 10.04), I checked out, compiled and
installed it according to the howto, and the OSM maps are loading fine.
   I have noticed some anomalies, however, where the 'pan' buttons are
acting more like 'zoom' buttons.  I was flipping back and forth between
the 'binned' and the 'zoomable' versions last night, and I'm not fully
sure which one was exhibiting that anomaly.

I'm going to have to open an account on openstreetmap.org so I can submit
some edits.  It's showing an airport just north of me that's been closed
for years, and my gliderport just south of me that's been in continuous
operation since 1946 isn't listed at all!  There also seems to be a
problem with the 'cloudmade1' style, in that some lakes nearby are cut off
at the county line, yet when I show the same area on the OSM web site the
lakes are complete.  I have no idea where to report that problem...

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009