[Xastir] OSM maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:36:51 EDT 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, Piotr Gluszenia Slawinski wrote:

> note you probably need ./configure --prefix=/usr/ ,
> otherwise it will default to /usr/local
> and thus /usr/local/share/xastir will be put there.
> i think /usr/share/xastir/ to look for stuff like maps is defined
> in config file, or hardcoded other way - i've got similiar issue,
> as fresh install of xastir installed in /usr/local looked for files
> in /usr/share/xastir...

*) Locally-compiled Xastir installs by default into "/usr/local/"
*) Xastir distributed with an OS often installs into "/usr/"
*) Xastir LSB (Linux Standard Base) installs into "/opt/Xastir/"

Config files in your "~/.xastir/config/" directory must match the
installed Xastir location else you'll have difficulties.  Same for
if you have more than one Xastir installed:  You may end up starting
the wrong one by default and it may or may not match your current
config files.

So...  If you've used a pre-packaged binary to this point (which
usually install to "/usr/"), then switch to compiling your own
(which installs to "/usr/local/" by default), you may have to
hand-edit your ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file to change the paths.
Or you can blow away that file (or rename it) and have Xastir create
a fresh one for you that matches your executable, then tweak all of
your settings again.  If you rename it at least you can look in the
old file to see what your settings were.

Another option is to add some options to the "./configure" line to
change the install location to match what you used before instead of
using the defaults.

Yet another issue:  Very old Xastir used to install system files to
"/usr/local/xastir".  We moved the location a number of years ago to
"${prefix}/share/xastir".  For instance:  "/usr/local/share/xastir"
or "/usr/share/xastir".  This affects the location of your maps, as
well as the per-user config files.  We have some scripts in
xastir/scripts to help with this migration:  "xastir-fixcfg.sh" and
"xastir-migrate.sh".  The first is run once per user (as each user),
the second is run exactly once as root.