[Xastir] Latest OSM tweaks

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 19:06:41 EDT 2010

On Tue, 29 Jun 2010, Ian Bennett wrote:

> 	I updated via CVS and still see version 1.9.9. Is this right?? I would have
> expected to see a minor version increment for any change.

Historically we haven't been bumping it in-between stable releases.
When we do a stable release we bump the last number to an even
number, then immediately after the release we bump it up one for
development.  At least it looks like we've been doing it that way
since 2006.

We have a few conflicting requirements:

*) The APRS scheme of three digits ("APX" in our case) and three
    numbers for the version number in each APRS packet.  This limits
    us to three digits total.  If we go to 1.10.0 or 1.9.10, there's
    no place for the fourth digit unless we go to "APX191-0",
    "APX191-1", etc, a potential conflict with earlier revisions for
    the "-0" case.

*) Trying not to get to 2.0.0 'cuz that's historically where we were
    going to start Xastir-2 or Xastir-NG.

*) The open-source numbering scheme:  First number is the major
    revision.  Second number is minor revision, often with an odd
    number for devel, even number for releases.  Last number is
    patch-level.  We don't quite comply with this:

    http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Software-Release-Practice-HOWTO/index.html