[Xastir] added twitter capability with Xastir

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Jun 30 09:41:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 06:45:07PM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <Richard.Murnane at internode.on.net> flavor, containing:
> Hi all,
>
> Perhaps a less contentious approach would be to write a separate app
> that uses the Twitter and aprs.fi APIs to create tweets from the APRS
> data.

The original post in question *was* a python script that used the APRS-IS
and Twitter interfaces to do the job.  It looked for messages from one callsign
and sent it to a single configured twitter account.

It was possibly the most innocuous script I've ever seen, and could be run by
any individual who saw a point to running it.  The handful of people who
would do so would not bring down APRS, ham radio, or the Republic.

Personally, I think adding a general-purpose twitter gateway to Xastir
(similar to the general purpose email gateways that already exist) is a bad
idea.  The script provided was simple and would allow the few people who want
to do it a simple means.  A really motivated individual could beef up that
script and make it more robust.  But I see no real benefit to using Xastir
as the code to do it.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."