[Xastir] When your only tool is a hammer- using linux to send aprs packets

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Mar 7 12:15:24 EST 2010

On Sun, Mar 07, 2010 at 08:42:55AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <jmiller at eyes.arizona.edu> flavor, containing:
> Curt, Thank you for your suggestion.  I tried the following
>

> beacon -s -c "KI7WV" -d "APRS WIDE2-2" radio0 "!3225.55N/11245.66W-73 de Joe KI7WV"
>
> no joy at seeing packet forwarded by digi next door (LEMMON node), although ifconfig indicates that the packet hit the interface.
>
> Going Skiing!  Will check back later.  Thank you for your help.

I just tried this, and it worked Just Fine.  Not only did it get decoded by
the Xastir station attached to the same AX25 interface,  but it got
digipeated:

 beacon -s -c "KM5VY-6" -d "APRS WIDE2-2" aprs "@071712z3458.19N/10618.29W-Testing Beacon program"

But it took two tries.  The first time my local digi didn't digipeat it.  My
digipeat rate from that digi is pretty low thanks to my lousy location.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation