[Xastir] When your only tool is a hammer- using linux to send aprs packets

Chris kc2rgw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:32:23 EST 2010

I adapted this from an old email list archive, maybe from TAPR, not sure.

It feels dirty heh, but it works.

A bash wrapper around beacon that also starts axlisten for the purpose
of doing UI mode 'chatting'.

It prompts for what to send the UI 'to' and what digi to use.

I've used it to send APRS msg traffic, I just haven't gotten around to
an even dirtier version to look for the proper msg number ID and to
ack those yet.

http://kc2rgw.com/stuff/packet_radio/unproto.txt   <- here is the script.

On Sun, Mar 7, 2010 at 11:22 PM, Joseph Miller <jmiller at eyes.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Do'h!
>
> RE: BEACON to send packet to APRS-  It works!
>
> Many thanks- I had entered source as my call "KI7WV" but had not included the ssid of -2; when I went to findu I was looking for KI7WV-2
>

> It looks like the beacon command is a viable way of submitting packets to APRS from  scripts.
>
> Thanks to all.  When a get a script running I will pass it along.
>
> Joe, KI7WV

73      de     Chris       KC2RGW