[Xastir] When your only tool is a hammer- using linux to send aprs packets

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:39:45 EST 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Chris wrote:

> A bash wrapper around beacon that also starts axlisten for the purpose
> of doing UI mode 'chatting'.
>
> It prompts for what to send the UI 'to' and what digi to use.
>
> I've used it to send APRS msg traffic, I just haven't gotten around to
> an even dirtier version to look for the proper msg number ID and to
> ack those yet.

If/when you do, consider adding the extra messaging protocols
(REPLY-ACK for one) that are listed in the APRS spec addendums.
They really make messaging fly if both ends implement them.

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to create a Perl text-mode app
just to do APRS messaging.  That might be kind'a fun!