[Xastir] When your only tool is a hammer- using linux to send aprs packets

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:37:25 EST 2010

On Sun, 7 Mar 2010, Joseph Miller wrote:

> Many thanks- I had entered source as my call "KI7WV" but had not
> included the ssid of -2; when I went to findu I was looking for
> KI7WV-2

NOTE:  Don't use Findu or aprs.fi to try to decipher what's
happening with local RF.  They will only see the FIRST packet to get
there from multiple possible copies, therefore the fastest igate
will always win out, and duplicates/alternate paths won't be seen.
Not to mention all the stations that don't ever get to an igate or
packets that end up in collisions.

Use the "listen" command out of the AX.25 tools to watch the real RF
traffic.  Or an APRS program that has a method to see the actual
packet strings go by.  You'll see all kinds of things like packets
sent to "BEACON" that aren't decoded by any APRS program and are
cluttering up the APRS frequency.

Glad you got it figured out.