[Xastir] Geo files for US RIdge Radar maps from ...

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Mar 31 23:41:15 EDT 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010, Kevin Paetzold wrote:

> On 03/31/2010 12:00 PM, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> "Geo files for US RIdge Radar maps from K1KWP
> http://www.townisp.com/~k1kwp/NWS_Ridge_geos.tar.gz"
>
> Glad to know that some people are using those .geos I produced.

I just downloaded the collection, and have begun taking a look at them.

In the regional/ directory, there's one called centgrtlakes_radaronly.geo.
I loaded that one up, and it appears that it is inacurate as to the
positions of the individual radars.  This evening, the atmospheric
conditions are such that there is a 'blob' of ground scatter with a small
clear donut hole at the location of each radar.  The DTX radar is
appearing to be somewhere over Lansing, when it is actually located at
White Lake, MI., about 56 miles to the east.  Station K8DTX is co-located
at the NWS WHite lake facility, and so its symbol should show in the 'eye'
of the ground scatter blob from that site.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009