[Xastir] connecting xastir to multiple internet servers

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Mon May 3 03:24:49 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

I know it's normally a bad idea to connect an APRS client to multiple
APRS-IS servers. I have a question related to this though. Suppose I
have two internet servers I want to connect to:

* rotate.aprs.net or another "normal" APRS-IS server
* an igate on 144.990, NOT connected to APRS-IS or 144.390

Since there is no connection between the two internet servers, is it a
problem to connect to both at the same time from Xastir? I don't want
to cause any problems on APRS-IS or gate traffic between servers, but
I would really like a way to connect to both servers simultaneously.

If this isn't a good idea, can I safely run two instances of Xastir on
the same machine as different users with different SSIDs?

Thanks!

Kevin
KB9MQU