[Xastir] connecting xastir to multiple internet servers

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon May 3 11:36:01 EDT 2010

On Mon, 3 May 2010, Kevin Ratcliff wrote:

> * rotate.aprs.net or another "normal" APRS-IS server
> * an igate on 144.990, NOT connected to APRS-IS or 144.390
>
> Since there is no connection between the two internet servers, is it a
> problem to connect to both at the same time from Xastir?

If there's no connection between them at all, as in the igate
doesn't connect to the APRS-IS either, then it's fine to connect
multiples up.  Xastir can handle up to 15.

> to cause any problems on APRS-IS or gate traffic between servers, but
> I would really like a way to connect to both servers simultaneously.
>
> If this isn't a good idea, can I safely run two instances of Xastir on
> the same machine as different users with different SSIDs?

You can run them as different users, you can run them as the same
user if you set the "-c /path/dir" flag on the 2nd and succeeding
Xastir instances.  These two can connect to different servers, or
you can connect one Xastir to the other by enabling the server ports
in the first one, then connecting the second one to
"localhost:2023".