[Xastir] draft Ubuntu 10.04 install instructions on wiki

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu May 6 15:59:43 EDT 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:42:49PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 09:46:25PM +1000, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <scott at vk7hse.hobby-site.org> flavor, containing:
> > Hi to all on list...
> >
> > I noticed that the latest version of Gdal is currently at 1.7.2 and that
> > libgeotiff is at 1.3.0RC2
> >
> > I'm using these releases and I've not noticed any adverse effects!
> >
> > there is a small readme.txt where the modified version of rowcolumn.c
> > resides (http://www.vk7hse.hobby-site.org/download/XASTIR_10.04_LTS/)
> > explaining the build process (already covered in the howto)
> >
> > I realise that I could edit the entry to reflect the newer versions, but
> > for stability I thought it best to simply mention for now!
> >
> > Now to keep an eye on awstats for the hits to that file!  ;)
>

> Supposedly this has been fixed in OpenMotif on 10.04.  Can anyone here
> confirm that?
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grace/+bug/552681
>
> I am, as yet, not running 10.04, and have not yet had time to build a
> VM to test it out.

My bad.  The "fix" was to one package that used motif, not to the underlying
problem.

But interestingly, that package seems to have figured out what to do to
work around the issue.  We might be able to use this.

http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/grace/1:5.1.22-5/motiflockup.diff

The trick seems to be to ungrab the cursor after the XmCreatePopupMenu call.
We only have one call to XmCreatePopup in Xastir, so a similar hack might
work for us.  Of course, the *real* fix should involve fixing Motif, but
telling all users of Xastir that they need to hack on the source code for
Motif is probably not a good thing.  Furthermore, we've been harping on
using OpenMotif over Lesstif for years, and most of the patches out there are
to Lesstif.

Anyhow, I'm completely tied up until the end of May and won't have time to
make a VM on which to try this sort of thing.  Anyone else got time this month?
The approach itself seems fairly straightforward (test for motif version in
an #if, make a couple of extra calls after each call to XmCreatePopupMenu).

Should nobody else have time this month either, I'll try to look into it in
the slivers of time I'll have.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life