[Xastir] draft Ubuntu 10.04 install instructions on wiki

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri May 7 12:26:40 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 10:06:30AM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 01:59:43PM -0600, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <russo at bogodyn.org> flavor, containing:
> [...] on the subject of right-click locking up X by grabbing the mouse
> cursor and never releasing it.  This is a documented problem with Xorg 1.7.5
> that apparently "fixed" some broken handling of passive grabs that Motif has
> apparently always relied upon.  Motif programs (including legacy commercial
> binaries that cannot be rebuilt) are therefore broken on this version of Xorg
> server.  It has supposedly been fixed in Xorg 1.7.6, but that is as-yet
> unreleased, and in fact many systems are now moving to 1.7.5, introducing
> this breakage to more and more platforms.
>
> > > Supposedly this has been fixed in OpenMotif on 10.04.  Can anyone here
> > > confirm that?
> > >
> > > https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grace/+bug/552681
> > >
> > > I am, as yet, not running 10.04, and have not yet had time to build a
> > > VM to test it out.
> > >

> > My bad.  The "fix" was to one package that used motif, not to the underlying
> > problem.
> >
> > But interestingly, that package seems to have figured out what to do to
> > work around the issue.  We might be able to use this.
> >
> > http://patch-tracker.debian.org/patch/series/view/grace/1:5.1.22-5/motiflockup.diff
> >
> > The trick seems to be to ungrab the cursor after the XmCreatePopupMenu call.
> [...]
>
> Well, this just got bumped higher up in my priority list.
[...]
> I now have one system on which I can test out the supposed work-around, and will
> commit it if it works.

Done.  The Grace package's approach to band-aiding around the broken X
server worked Just Fine for Xastir, and I have committed the change.  This
should prevent future users from encountering this issue as more and more
systems start pushing xorg-server 1.7.5 on them.  Sigh.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life