[Xastir] Ubuntu 10.04 problem with repository xastir package

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Fri May 7 18:41:59 EDT 2010

Just installed the latest ubuntustudio 10.04, and of course, did an
immediate 'apt-get install xastir'.  It gave me v1.9.4, compiled way back
in 2008!  I can't complain much, because I have to admit I'm running 1.9.5
on my other system, and haven't recompiled it myself since late 2008.
   I'll go check out the wiki directions for compiling on 10.04, but I
thought I'd document here an anomaly I discovered in this version before I
blow it away:
  1) It exhibits the characteristic Ubuntu 'disappearing buttons on
dialogs'.  No surprise there.
  2) If I right-click anywhere on the map, I do not get the expected
context menu.  Instead, xastir captures my mouse pointer, and from that
moment forward, I can't move the mouse pointer anywhere outside the map
window.  I can't even get to the top menu bar.  The keyboard shortcuts
'alt-F' doesn't work either.
   My escape turned out to be ctrl-alt-F2, which gets me out of X and gives
me a login prompt.  After logging in, I issue a `killall xastir`, then hit
alt-F7 to return to X, to find xastir gone, and I have control of my mouse
again.

...I'll go compile a more modern version...

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009