[Xastir] Ubuntu 10.04 problem with repository xastir package

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sat May 8 00:11:11 EDT 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Tom Russo wrote:

> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 06:41:59PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
>
>>   2) If I right-click anywhere on the map, I do not get the expected
>> context menu.  Instead, xastir captures my mouse pointer, and from that
>> moment forward, I can't move the mouse pointer anywhere outside the map
>> window.  I can't even get to the top menu bar.  The keyboard shortcuts
>> 'alt-F' doesn't work either.
>
> This was fixed in CVS *today*.
>
> The issue is in fact a bug in the X server that impacts *all* Motif programs,
> not just Xastir.  Turns out that Motif uses something called a "passive grab"
> in XmCreatePopupMenu and relies on something the X server has always done to
> release the grab --- something that version 1.7.4-1.7.5 of Xorg-server has
> stopped doing.  Version 1.7.6 (not yet released) has apparently fixed it again,
> but in the meantime all Motif programs are busted in the same way.
>
> The ideal fix is to update to a version of Xorg-server that has the fix.
> Another option is to manually patch Motif libraries.  The third is to figure
> out a way to work around it in applications.

  I'm going thru the xastirwiki 10.04 howto, and I find a section which
directs me to recompile lesstif with a patch for a bug 'that prevents the
right-click functionality from working in Xastir'.  Is this the same bug
that you worked around?  Does it have to be fixed twice?

The Howto also recommends using a PPA version of proj.4 and libgeotiff in
order to keep the system 'clean' with dpkg, but then instructs me to
compile lesstiff from source outside of dpkg.  I seem to remember
something about 'checkinstall' which builds a temporary .deb, and then
lets dpkg install it.  Would this be a better approach for the lesstif
compile?  How about pulling the Ubuntu sources with apt-get, patching, and
then compiling and checkinstall?

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009