[Xastir] Ubuntu 10.04 problem with repository xastir package

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat May 8 00:17:37 EDT 2010

On 5/7/10, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2010, Tom Russo wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 06:41:59PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron
>> collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:
>>
>>>   2) If I right-click anywhere on the map, I do not get the expected
>>> context menu.  Instead, xastir captures my mouse pointer, and from that
>>> moment forward, I can't move the mouse pointer anywhere outside the map
>>> window.  I can't even get to the top menu bar.  The keyboard shortcuts
>>> 'alt-F' doesn't work either.
>>
>> This was fixed in CVS *today*.
>>
>> The issue is in fact a bug in the X server that impacts *all* Motif
>> programs,
>> not just Xastir.  Turns out that Motif uses something called a "passive
>> grab"
>> in XmCreatePopupMenu and relies on something the X server has always done
>> release the grab --- something that version 1.7.4-1.7.5 of Xorg-server has
>> stopped doing.  Version 1.7.6 (not yet released) has apparently fixed it
>> again,
>> but in the meantime all Motif programs are busted in the same way.
>>
>> The ideal fix is to update to a version of Xorg-server that has the fix.
>> Another option is to manually patch Motif libraries.  The third is to
>> figure
>> out a way to work around it in applications.
>>
>   I'm going thru the xastirwiki 10.04 howto, and I find a section which
> directs me to recompile lesstif with a patch for a bug 'that prevents the
> right-click functionality from working in Xastir'.  Is this the same bug
> that you worked around?  Does it have to be fixed twice?

That part of the HowTo was written last week.  The work-around Tom put
in CVS was just done today, so the HowTo hasn't caught up to that yet.

> The Howto also recommends using a PPA version of proj.4 and libgeotiff in
> order to keep the system 'clean' with dpkg, but then instructs me to
> compile lesstiff from source outside of dpkg.  I seem to remember
> something about 'checkinstall' which builds a temporary .deb, and then
> lets dpkg install it.  Would this be a better approach for the lesstif
> compile?  How about pulling the Ubuntu sources with apt-get, patching, and
> then compiling and checkinstall?

The best option is to get the latest Xastir from CVS thus avoiding
installing Lesstif from source.  With the latest CVS version of
Xastir, install openMotif from the repository instead.

Regards,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX