[Xastir] Ubuntu 10.04 problem with repository xastir package

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sat May 8 08:49:53 EDT 2010

On Sat, May 08, 2010 at 01:08:39AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <rtg at aapsc.com> flavor, containing:

> > The best option is to get the latest Xastir from CVS thus avoiding
> > installing Lesstif from source.  With the latest CVS version of
> > Xastir, install openMotif from the repository instead.
> >
>   That doesn't really answer my question.  If the patch to lesstif is
> addressing the same bug, then isn't it better to patch it there, where it
> will fix all motif applications, rather than relying on a workaround in a
> single application?
>    And if the bug is really in Xorg, wouldn't it be even better to backport
> the patch into the Ubuntu Xorg sources, than to even implement a
> workaround in motif?

Yes.  I did say the ideal fix was to get a fixed xorg.  But try getting that
into Ubuntu.  There won't be a fixed Xorg in ubuntu until Xorg releases
1.7.6, and then it might not even be an update that makes it into LTS
releases.

Working around the issue in Xastir gets Xastir working with a minimum of fuss.
Making our users recompile Motif/Lesstif is suboptimal, and will annoy more
people than a trivial workaround will.

 "It is better to live on your feet than to die with your knees."
  -- Mil Millington on running, in Instructions for Living Someone Else's Life