[Xastir] mheard stops hearing

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sat May 15 03:02:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Joseph Miller wrote:

> After about 48 hours of running, the mheard daemon stops recording
> activity.  The AX-25 interface remains listed but no data comes in
> or out.  There is packet activity on the TNC-X (yellow light comes
> on).

I was running a desktop PC with a TNC-X and a USB->Serial adapter
cable and having similar problems until a few weeks ago.  Something
would lock up and I wouldn't receive any more packets from the TNC,
but it would transmit ok.  If I remember correctly dropping/starting
the AX.25 interfaces didn't fix the problem.

I originally blamed it on the USB->Serial adapter cable, but a
kernel update which came along for this OpenSuSE system seems to
have fixed it.  The kernel was updated and the AX.25 packages were
updated at about the same time.

Just to be sure, when I last opened the case I popped in a dual-port
serial card and switched to using that instead of the USB->Serial
cable.  So far the problem has either totally gone away or at least
is at a low-enough level where I don't have to reboot to get AX.25
functional again.  I hate rebooting.