[Xastir] Map size question

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Mon May 17 11:11:26 EDT 2010

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Glenn Taylor wrote:

> I in the process of importing some maps which are rather small  gif files,
> 500x500 pixels.  I am also creating geo files to go with them. Is there a
> "best" size for Xastir to use?  I am wondering for best Xastir performance
> should I be combining these gifs into larger files and if so how big?

The answer is, it depends...

If you're going to be zoomed in to where you have one to 50 or so of
these tiles on your screen, you'll probably have good performance as
you pan around.

If you'll be zooming out to where you have hundreds or thousands of
these displayed, prepare to be less than impressed.

You can however combine a bunch of these into one image and set up
your map zoom levels so that you switch to different images at
different zoom levels.  Best of both worlds.