[Xastir] PNG,GIF,TIFF,or JPEG images as maps

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri May 21 15:15:07 EDT 2010

On Fri, 21 May 2010, Guy Story KC5GOI wrote:

> I am sure this has been covered but I do not see it in the wiki right now.
> I have follow the wiki on getting 1.9.9 installed on Ubuntu 10.04 and it ran
> like a charm.  I want to be able to take a course map that has been created
> as a jpeg, or gif and turn that into a map I can use in Xastir.  I do this
> in WinAPRS all the time but I am trying to get way from WinAPRS since it has
> not been updated in a long time and Xastir is ongoing.  WinAPRS uses a GIF
> as the image and I have to create points to tie the image so it can place
> stations on that map.  Can someone walk me through that for Xastir?

README.MAPS, the section titled:  ".geo files/online maps &
graphics:" has a bit of info.  Look in your Xastir directories for
this file.

Also Xastir->Help->Help Index->Map files and WX Counties has more
info about GEO file contents.

We also have some scripts for converting from UI-View and
OziExplorer files to Xastir .geo files.