[Xastir] PNG,GIF,TIFF,or JPEG images as maps

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Sat May 22 17:13:15 EDT 2010

I remember asking that question  :-)

From: Lee Bengston <lee.bengston at gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 8:28 PM
Subject: geo files for simple maps
To: Xastir - APRS client software discussion <xastir at xastir.org>

Hi All,

Maybe I just got lost in all the details of information in the HowTo:
Maps and the Readme.maps, but I couldn't find the procedure for
creating a geo file for a scanned or screenshot based map, i.e. a
simple JPG, PNG, or GIF.  I have a map of a course for a public
service event that is basically a screen shot of Yahoo Maps saved as a
JPG.  I recall I need the lat/lon of the upper left and lower right
corners of the map for the geo file, but what else, and what does the
geo file format look like for this type of map?

Thanks,

Lee - K5DAT
Murphy, TX

It's just a simple .geo like the others you've seen.

First line is the keyword FILENAME and then the filename of the image
Next line is keyword TIEPOINT followed by the pixel x, pixel y,
longitude, and latitude of the pixel
Final line is another TIEPOINT for the opposite corner in the same format.