[Xastir] Using TT4 as digi/igate questions

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun May 23 20:25:39 EDT 2010

On Sun, 23 May 2010, Norman Heyen wrote:

> Maybe that is all I should expect but it sure seems to me that I should see
> some of the traffic in raw packets that I see in the incoming data monitor
> window in Xastir. I'm looking at it with the TNC only box checked. I see
> quite a bit of traffic in that but nothing seems to come out to APRS.FI

A few more things:

If a packet goes out to both TNC and the 'net, Xastir doesn't show
it as a TNC packet in the View Packets dialog.  If it did and you
had a bunch of TNC's hooked up, you'd get a LOT of the same message
printed again and again in that box which would be of little use.
So... You're probably transmitting much more than that box shows
you.

You'll digipeat only on packets that have WIDE1-1 as the next unused
digipeater slot.  If you don't hear a station direct, you won't be
digipeating them.  That's all a fill-in digi does.

If you need to be a full-service WIDEn-N digi, then DigiNED would
probably be the right software to run for that purpose, and you'd
have to set up an AX.25 networking port in order to share the same
port between Xastir and DigiNED.