[Xastir] Link two XASTIR boxes through the internet?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 11:20:31 EDT 2010

On Wed, 29 Sep 2010, Craig Anderson wrote:

> As Jason says, turning on the server ports is very easy, with a
> few gotcha's.  The default server port that xastir opens is 2023,
> but the default port that pops up in the "Internet Server" window
> to create the connection is 14580.  So change the port number in
> the "Internet Server" window to be 2023 and you're off and
> running.

Interconnecting only two Xastir instances may not get you where you
want to go, depending on what traffic you want to appear on each
LAN.  If you're trying to gate to RF on each side, Xastir only does
that automatically for messages and ack's/nak's.  You'd have to put
set up additional gating using at least 3-character patterns in the
nws-stations.txt file in order to gate more to RF.

I'd suggest running a real server like aprsd on one box, then
connecting both Xastir's to that.  If you want to cross-connect
traffic that might be your best bet.