[Xastir] dbfawk help with contour lines shapefile

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Thu Oct 14 13:08:22 EDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>  /^Elev=.*[05]0$/ {lanes=2; next;}
>
> That'd do it for your specific case of 10 foot contours, making those 00 and 50
> contours be twice as thick as all the others (make sure you have "lanes=1" in
> your BEGIN_RECORD to get the others set to 1).

Perfect! The field name was actually ELEV, but after changing that
your regex did the trick.

> Unfortunately, there's no way in a dbfawk file to match "every fifth line",
> you have to do it based solely on the contents of the dbf record itself.
> If there is no other indication in the DBF record that designates a contour
> as an index contour, you're either stuck with making certain level values
> indices, modifying the DBF file, or not having index contours visually distinct.
>
> With a GIS, dbf editor, or hand-rolled program of some kind, you could modify
> the file and insert an extra field called "INDEXCONTOUR" and have a value of 1
> or 0 in it, then search for that in the dbfawk if your files don't all have
> the same contour interval.  But that's another story.

There's no indication in the records themselves about index contours.
I'm happy with the solution I have for now. If I ever move to
somewhere with differing contour intervals I'll look into that method.

Thanks Tom and Jason!

Kevin
KB9MQU