[Xastir] igate settings

Chip G. n1mie at mac.com
Sat Oct 23 17:00:16 EDT 2010

I didn't reply right away because I wanted to think about it before I did.

On Sep 14, 2010, at 14:20, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Thu, 9 Sep 2010, Chip G. wrote:
>
>> I have 3 interfaces setup on my config. I have two internet (one range filtered, one budlist filtered).
>
> This is frowned upon by the core server people and the Tier-2 server people.  You should have only one active connection for the internet side of things into the APRS-IS.

That may be, but I still have it until I get a workable solution.

>> Is there a way to keep certain igate traffic from going out to RF? In other words can I have the budlist filter server sent to RF but the range filter server not?
>
> Nope.  We don't have any form of filtering.  It's either on or off. You can choose receive-only gating, bidirectional gating, or off.

I guess let me be more clear about what I'm trying to do and see if someone has a solution that is possible and 'legal' without stepping on toes.

I want to be able to employ various APRS-IS filters. I want to range limit the stations I see, typically 500 miles. But I also want to see a handful of stations no matter where they are (i.e., mine, my wife's, my son's, etc). I don't care if this is from one server or several. Right now I cheat by having one APRS-IS connection for each filter I need. But I don't want to gate out to the server multiple times (or to RF for that matter).

So right now I have the following server connections on this machine:
newengland.aprs2.net, m/200, yes xmit, yes startup
rotate.aprs2.net, b/N1MIE*/N1MLG*/W1SSN*/N1CLV*/W1GTT* f/N1MIE*/30 f/N1MLG*/30, no xmit, yes startup

Can I put all that filter stuff on one line thus combining all the filters? Is it AND or OR between the filters?

>> Speaking of filtering, is there a size limit to the filter? Can the 'friend' filter use a wildcard?
>
> Are you talking about Xastir's .xastir/data/nws-stations.txt file or talking about the APRS-IS filter you have going?  For Xastir's file the string must be 3 characters or longer but then I think it wildcards the rest automatically.  This means if you put "we7u" in there it will match "we7uaa" through "we7uzz".

I was talking about the APRS-IS filter that goes in the "Filter Parameters" block of the "Configure Internet" window associated with Interface Control. Is there a limit on how long this "filter parameter" text is?

Thanks.

73,
--de Chip (N1MIE) FN41bn