[Xastir] What fun! GMail filtering

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 12:18:09 EDT 2010

Here's a bit I found about GMail about filtering attachments to
e-mails.  Notice that *.sys files are filtered out even if they're
inside an archive.

If anyone has tried to send me a language file recently, please
rename the file, zip, bzip, or gzip it, then attach it to an e-mail.
Do not attach a ".txt" file as it will get converted to ASCII text
by the e-mail system.  Sorry for all the trouble but I'm not getting
language translation file updates because of this.

Here's the GMail text:
"Some file types are blocked

As a security measure to prevent potential viruses, Gmail doesn't
allow you to send or receive executable files (such as files ending
in .exe) that could contain damaging executable code. In addition,
Gmail does not allow you to send or receive files that are
corrupted.

Which file types can I not send or receive?

"ade", "adp", "bat", "chm", "cmd", "com", "cpl", "exe",
"hta", "ins", "isp", "jse", "lib", "mde", "msc", "msp",
"mst", "pif", "scr", "sct", "shb", "sys", "vb", "vbe",
"vbs", "vxd", "wsc", "wsf", "wsh"

Gmail won't accept these types of files even if they are sent in a
zipped (.zip, .tar, .tgz, .taz, .z, .gz) format. If this type of
message is sent to your Gmail address, it is bounced back to the
sender automatically.

Mac users: Are you trying to send a zip file within another zip
file?

Please note that when sending a zip file which also contains another
zip file, this increases your chances of file corruption. Please
decompress all files first and create only one zip file.

You can send and receive messages up to 25 megabytes (MB) total
(including attachments). Any message that exceeds this limit will
not be delivered to your inbox and will be returned to the sender."

Between the above filtering and their filtering out my return copy
of list email, I'm getting a bit disenchanted with GMail.