[Xastir] gpsman shapefile questions

Kevin Ratcliff kevin at kevinratcliff.com
Mon Oct 25 05:03:48 EDT 2010

Did the patch from this thread ever get implemented in the Xastir source code?

http://www.mail-archive.com/xastir-dev@xastir.org/msg00085.html

I've been playing with gpsman (version 6.4) and am getting the message
"Unknown file format name: Shapefile_2D" when trying to download a GPS
track with Xastir, and Google led me to the above thread. I haven't
tested the patch yet, but I'm assuming that's my problem. I'll test it
later when I have more time.

BTW, I'm going to get a chance to hook up a Garmin Astro receiver to
my Ubuntu laptop and play with it in two weeks at a SAR conference
(see my Astro thread from a few weeks ago). In theory the following
command should work for newer model Garmin USB GPS units, right?

gpsman -dev usb=/dev/ttyUSB0 -log -rec Garmin getwrite TR Shapefile
dim=2 astrotest

I'm trying to do my research ahead of time, because I'm unlikely to
have internet access at the conference (no Google to help me!).
Hopefully I'll be able to confirm what the track and waypoint output
from the Astro receiver looks like for possible use with gpsmanshp in
Xastir at a later date.

Thanks!

Kevin
KB9MQU