[Xastir] gpsman shapefile questions

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Oct 25 11:31:48 EDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:24:07AM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kevin at kevinratcliff.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 5:03 AM, Kevin Ratcliff <kevin at kevinratcliff.com> wrote:
> > I've been playing with gpsman (version 6.4) and am getting the message
> > "Unknown file format name: Shapefile_2D" when trying to download a GPS
> > track with Xastir, and Google led me to the above thread. I haven't
> > tested the patch yet, but I'm assuming that's my problem. I'll test it
> > later when I have more time.
>
> Tested the patch with my Garmin 60CSx. Worked great and I can download
> tracks, though now I have another question:
>
> The GPS track was downloaded to ~/.xastir/gps/. That's fine, but it
> needs to be in the maps directory to show up in the map chooser,
> right? I solved this problem by creating a symbolic link in
> /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/ to ~/.xastir/gps/, and then each time I
> download a new GPS track I use Map->Configure->Add New Maps. That
> seemed to work, but is that the right way to do it?

Define "right way."  That's the way I do it, for sure.

> I wonder if I'm missing something that's supposed to make this easier
> or more automated. There's a 'GPS' directory in my maps directory, but
> it just contains a placeholder. I'm not sure what that directory is
> good for. Aha...found some info in README.MAPS about this; looks like
> maybe that's where gpsman used to put stuff.

I've got a symlink /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GPS/russo that points to
my .xastir/gps directory.  If I actually had other uses on the box, that
would allow everyone to work off the same maps dir, but each user the
ability to load GPS maps as needed.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."