[Xastir] Tiger maps?

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 03:04:40 EDT 2010

--- On Sat, 9/4/10, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010, Alex Carver
> wrote:
>
> > I use the TIGER shapefiles because
> > Xastir isn't always connected to the network and when
> it is, it's
> > sometimes a lot slower than pulling from disk.
>
> Which might be a good reason to run the OSM Shapefiles
> instead...
> Similar to Tiger detail, but more roads and more correct

Not really, I don't need that much detail.  I'm not navigating with Xastir (it's running on my desktop) and I'm not tracking anyone down to turn/road level.  I use the TIGER roads mainly to show approximate locations relative to highways and larger surface roads.  I have a good portion of the TIGER data disabled and show only major roads and features.  In fact I have them split into smaller tiles so that they load even faster.