[Xastir] Tiger maps?

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 11:56:12 EDT 2010

On Sat, 4 Sep 2010, Michael Lewis wrote:

> but updating Xastir wont I lose all my custom alert sounds and spoken speech
> plus having my tinytrak4 communicate to xastir? That getting to to work in
> Xastir was a pain took at least 2 hours.

That depends on how/where you installed Xastir in the first place.
At one point there was a change in where Xastir got installed
(Linux).  I can't remember how far back that was.  If you're running
a packaged binary Xastir could be installed in an OS location
instead of /usr/local/* directories.  If you're on Windows or OSX it
might be installed in yet other places.

So...  You can save away the current stuff, including your ~/.xastir
directory and contents, then install a new version, then either see
if it works directly with what you had before, or copy bits and
pieces from your saved configs and files over to the new system.

At a minimum I would do this (Linux):

     cd
     cp -a .xastir .xastir-save

That will copy your "~/.xastir/" directory to "~/.xastir-save/".
The main file of interest there is ~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf

If you've hand-edited any files in your /usr/local/share/xastir/*
area, you'll want to save those too.