[Xastir] snag trying to install shapelib via source onto mac os X 10.5

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Thu Sep 16 22:19:30 EDT 2010

I am in the process of installing Xastir on my Powerbook G4 (10.5.8)
using the instructions at http://www.wx9grb.org/xastir/mac.htm which
are attributed to Dana Rawding, N1OFZ (uses MacPorts for all but
shapelib and geotiff).

I have hit a snag with regard to installing the shapelib, at this step:

sudo ranlib /usr/local/lib/libshp.a

i get the response "ranlib: can't open file: /usr/local/lib/libshp.a
(Not a directory)"

I tried:
cd /usr/local
ls

and can see 3 items in the "local" folder, one of which is "lib"

but when I did:
cd /usr/local/lib
ls

I get "bash: cd: /usr/local/lib: Not a directory"

Any ideas?