[Xastir] OS X 10.6, Xastir and OT+

Chase Turner ke4qdl at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 19:22:58 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I seem to have Xastir configured correctly (9600 8-N-1), and I have flashed
the OT+ to KISS.  My trouble seems to be getting the two to speak to each
other.

I've been using an IOGear USB to Serial adapter.  I've loaded the
appropriate drivers, I think, and the Mac seems to recognize that there is a
USB to serial device.

Does anyone have experience with this particular setup?  Alternatively, what
are the rest of you Mac heads using with Xastir that gets you up and running
with APRS?  I'm not very happy with the OT+ and would welcome suggestions
there(TNC-X?)- I think it gets some RF back into the device when I get it to
beacon (which I have to use UI view to get it to beacon) the HT and it locks
up- but that's partially my fault having it so close to the radio.

I feel like I am close to getting the thing to work, but I am missing some
simple setting somewhere which prevents the OT+ and Xastir from talking.
 Any advice about this issue and/or hearing about other Mac users success
stories with Xastir would be most welcome.

Thanks,
Chase
W4TI