[Xastir] Maps Offline?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh KJ4ERJ at arrl.net
Sun Sep 19 06:51:03 EDT 2010

Kurt Savegnago wrote:
> Sorry about being OT but I like having a couple of programs handy to run
> depending what I feel like.  I use Xastir the most though.

To keep it semi-on-topic, does Xastir do any sort of multiple windows?
Or is it all a single tracking window?

Now, for the off-topic portion of the post...

> Only problem with APRSISCE is the map tiles are too faint.  Can't make them any darker.  Yeah, yeah, I know one can change the contrast but the
> darkest level is not dark enough for my taste.  For night time use they're fine.

Yeah, I'm at the mercy of how the tiles are rendered.  I've considered
building an OSM rendering engine into APRSIS32, but haven't decided to
start climbing that learning curve yet.  I am watching the MoNav routing
effort closely though, but I'm less-than-enamored with the preprocessing
that solution needs to have done.  How easy do you think the xastir OSM
rendering component would be to port to Windows?

> There are some instructions one has to follow so the maps are stored in the cache for any length of time and are not automatically erased.  Easy enough to find and follow so I can't slant the program there.  Just too
> darned light.

Eventually I'll be making all of the XML configuration parameters
available in user-accessible dialogs.  But in the meantime, if you turn
off the OSM Tile Fetcher, the purger turns itself off automatically.  Of
course, to get more tiles, you have to turn the fetcher back on and all
the old ones may purge at that time...Maybe a quick check-box option to
disable the purger is in order here.

> I've fired up APRSISCE 32 and get get the tiles about as dark as on an
> XP machine, but I can't get it to accept position reports.  In otherwords,
> my station is the only one displayed.  I have the machine connected to the internet.  The upstairs XP version will be getting reports online right and left of the local area.

Are you using different -SSIDs for the two instances?  The APRS-IS
servers will disconnect duplicate connections to a single server with
the same ID.  Also, if you e-mail the APRSIS32.XML file to
KJ4ERJ at arrl.net and remind me what it isn't doing, I'll check it out and
see if I can figure out what's worng.  Or just pop open the Enables /
View Logs / APRS-IS and disable/enable APRS-IS to see what all happens
on the connection.