[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Mon Sep 20 15:14:51 EDT 2010

Following these instructions for installing geotiff prior to
installing Xastir on my Powerbook g4 osx 10.5.8 macintosh:

1)   tar -xvzf libgeotiff-1.3.0
2)   cd libgeotiff-1.3.0
3)   ./configure --prefix=/usr/local
4)   make
5)   sudo make install
6)   sudo ranlib /usr/local/lib/libgeotiff.a

Following step 3, I get this error message:

checking for TIFFOpen in -ltiff... no
configure: error: You will need to substantially rewrite libxtiff to
build libgeotiff without libtiff

I looked at the Xastir install page and searched both the libtiff and
Xastir archives, and while I did encounter what appears to be the same
error message in a thread on the latter, I am unable to make sense of
what I should do in my situation.

I did not donwload libtiff, but several libtiff items are found in
searching the computer (in gui mode - I have no idea how to find files
in command line), creation dates match the day I downloaded/installed:
the developer tools, X11, MacPorts, and presumably using MacPorts :
imagemagick, openmotif, pcre, db42, lcms, proj, gdal, libpng, and
libxml2. Finally, using the internet, shapelib-1.2.10 and geotiff 1.3.0

My understanding of command line, if it isn't overtly obvious already,
is quite limited.

Any ideas?

And be honest with me, if you think I'm getting in over my head before
I even try using the software, maybe I should just stick with the gui
stuff and wait for someone to develop a pre-compiled version?

Tom