[Xastir] libtiff / geotiff install hiccup

T Wegner towegn at tds.net
Tue Sep 21 22:17:04 EDT 2010

Again, a big thank you to all who have been helping me, and for whom I
fear I am becoming a pain in the whatsis. My apologies if I have
offended or annoyed anyone, I certainly did not mean to.

So, Jason, Curt, Tom, Jeremy, and Carl, again, I appreciate your
willingness to help and not just giving up on me.

I successfully installed libtiff and libgeotiff and I am ready to move
on to the actual Xastir install.

I can follow Carl's instructions (quoted below), or go back to my
instructions from the wx9grb site, my preference, since I've been
following their format as best I can.
They are (please tell me if you see any problems) as follows:

1)   Download Xastir from http://www.xastir.org and put it in your
home directory. You may want to keep the source directory after you
finish installing. It will make things easier if you want to update
Xastir later via CVS. Next, from a x11 terminal window type in the
following list of commands:
2)   tar -xvzf xastir* (for example tar -xvzf xastir121-2003-Jul-02.tgz)
3)   mv xastir* xastir
4)   cd xastir
5)   ./bootstrap.sh
6)   ./configure
7)   make
8)   sudo make install-strip

 > if you want to enable map caching use:

6)   ./configure --with-bdb-incdir=/opt/local/include/db42 --with-bdb-
libdir=/opt/local/lib/db42

That's it! You can now run Xastir from an X terminal window with:

/usr/local/bin/xastir

Or add it to the X11 Application menu. Do this by going to the
Applications pull down and select Customize. click the 'add item'
button. Double click the blank hi-lighted line under the name column.
Type in 'Xastir'. Next double click under the Command column and type
'/usr/local/bin/xastir'. Click the done button. Now you can launch
Xastir from the Applications menu.

-end of quoted instructions-