[Xastir] SDR-CUBE

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Sep 27 14:22:36 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 01:13:40PM -0500, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <kg4wsv at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Curt, WE7U <curt.we7u at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Anyone know about them, particularly whether you could run Xastir on it?
>
> This is the device that triggered my message of a few days ago about
> "ARM systems".
>
> This thing is evidently a chumby device, if that means anything to you.
>
> I went by BestBuy and fingerprinted one, but I think it was busted (I
> couldn't get past the "select a wireless network" page).  Can't really
> hold that against it, with it being a display model.  If you look for
> it in the store, look near the Sony Dash "personal internet viewer".
>
> It did have a 5V input, so it should be fairly simple to power it in the truck.
>
> The motherboard is in the base of the L-shaped case.
>
> the touchscreen is the resistive type, which means a matte layer on
> top of the screen.
>
> The price is approaching impulse-buy level.  If I had time for yet
> another project, I might have pulled the trigger.  As it stands, I'm
> waiting for someone else to go first. :)

So far, I have seen only hacks related to getting Qt and WebKit running on it,
and those are for embedded linux, Qt-under-X.

That doesn't mean one couldn't compile an X server and get it running on
this thing, but it would take some doing.

Having a Qt-based APRS client instead would probably be the right approach.  It
would be a nice target platform, for sure.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."