[Xastir] TNC setup problem

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Tue Apr 5 10:54:57 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 07:36:58AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011, Jacob Tennant wrote:
>
> >    I am using a KPC-2 TNC...

[...]
> Ah yes, the comments in interface.h specifically talk about a KPC-2, so change the code to look like this:
>
>      // User configurable text for taking a TNC into converse mode.
>      // Uncomment only one of the below two lines.
>      //
>      // Works for most TNC's, including tnc2-ui
>      //#define CONVERSE_MODE "k"
>      //
>      // Works for Kantronics KPC-2
>      #define CONVERSE_MODE "conv"
>
> and recompile/reinstall.  That should fix your problem.

Interesting.  The KPC-2 was the first TNC I ever used with Xastir and it was
absolutely flawless once I got the tnc-startup.kpc2 file written (the one that's
in Xastir's config directory is the one I hacked up and sent upstream).  This
change (defaulting to "k" instead of "conv") dates after I replaced my kpc-2
with a kpc-3+ (which has since been replaced with a T2).

It would probably be better for CONVERSE_MODE to be a setting that can be
set (or overridden) from a startup file META tag rather than a compile-time
macro.  That way we could add that META tag to tnc-startup.kpc2 and make it
work out of the box like it used to.

Of course, it's unlikely that very many KPC-2's remain in the wild.

 "The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."