[Xastir] TNC setup problem

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:22:15 EDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011, Tom Russo wrote:

>>      // Works for most TNC's, including tnc2-ui
>>      //#define CONVERSE_MODE "k"
>>      //
>>      // Works for Kantronics KPC-2
>>      #define CONVERSE_MODE "conv"
>>
>> and recompile/reinstall.  That should fix your problem.
>
> Interesting.  The KPC-2 was the first TNC I ever used with Xastir and it was
> absolutely flawless once I got the tnc-startup.kpc2 file written (the one that's
> in Xastir's config directory is the one I hacked up and sent upstream).  This
> change (defaulting to "k" instead of "conv") dates after I replaced my kpc-2
> with a kpc-3+ (which has since been replaced with a T2).

I remember coming across a TNC that wouldn't accept the one, and a TNC that wouldn't accept the other.  Must have been a KPC-2 and a TNC7?  Anyway, between the two we couldn't handle them without the above tweaks.

> It would probably be better for CONVERSE_MODE to be a setting that can be
> set (or overridden) from a startup file META tag rather than a compile-time
> macro.  That way we could add that META tag to tnc-startup.kpc2 and make it
> work out of the box like it used to.

Yes, that would be the better solution by far.

> Of course, it's unlikely that very many KPC-2's remain in the wild.

Which may mean it's not worth the effort at this time, when one solution is already available, however distasteful.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer