[Xastir] Regarding the "1 File ?@ could not be read" message

kevin.paetzold kevin.paetzold at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:20:56 EDT 2011

On 04/06/2011 12:00 PM, xastir-request at lists.xastir.org wrote:
> Regarding the "1 File ?@ could not be read" message:
> *) Might have permissions set incorrectly on one file in the /usr/local/share/xastir/maps directory or below.
> *) Might have a corrupt file in that same area.
> *) Could have gotten a bad map filename written into your ~/.xastir/config/selected_maps.sys file.
> *) Looks like you don't have IM or GM support compiled into your latest.

I have noticed that some files (especially maps and sometimes
xastir.rgb) get installed without read access for all users after using
"sudo make install".  I decided this may have been due to the process
from the sudo inheriting things from my shell process.  I have been
doing make installs after really logging in as root (e.g. "sudo su -")
and it has not happened.  In any case it should be easy to fix by
connecting to "/usr/local/share" (as root) and issuing
"sudo chmod -R o+rx xastir"