[Xastir] USB to Serial issue

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 12:35:10 EDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011, Dale Seaburg wrote:

> I have on my laptop (HP dv-7) a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 with latest xastir from
> cvs,  When I insert my USB-serial dongle, and add a KISS serial tnc (OT+ @
> 9600) and then Start the interface, the Interface hangs.  I have to pull the
> dongle to release the hang.
>
> When I use a serial terminal, like GtkTerm, it works fine.  I see the KISS
> "stuff" come across.  When I shutdown the serial terminal and start xastir
> and the Interface, I still get a hang.  The user is a group member of
> DIALOUT.
>
> I have a similar setup on my stationary HP TC-1100 (KG5LT-5),  The user in
> this case is not a group member of DIALOUT.  It just works!
>
> Do I have to remove the DIALOUT group membership on my laptop?
>
> Any suggestions where to look for the problem?

Check the ownership and permissions for the USB port you're trying to use.  It should be something like "/dev/USB0" or "/dev/USB1".

     ls -l /dev/USB*

See what group the USB ports belong to as it it might be something other than dialout.  The permissions for the group need to be read/write as well so it should be something like:

     crw-rw---- 1 root dialout

Also make absolutely sure that the user you're logging in as is a member of the "dialout" group, or whatever group is listed for that port.

     grep <user> /etc/group

and that you've logged out and back in since adding that user to the group.

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://www.eskimo.com/~archer
U.S. Weather Alerts:  Firenet.us, port 14580, filter "t/n e/WE7U-WX"